Becoming a Commercial lawyer
Whatever stage you’re at in your career, our handy tool will tell you everything you need to know about what to do next.Get started
There are many routes to becoming a world-class commercial lawyer with Baker McKenzie. Here’s an illustration to show the most common routes for law and non-law graduates.
“You don't need to have a law degree to work here. You can use work experience from other areas of your life to demonstrate your skill.”
We believe in involving our Trainees in ‘live’ work from the very start, so after a couple of weeks of training you should find yourself equipped with everything you need to start making an immediate contribution. In each seat you’ll have a supervisor who acts as your work provider and mentor, and a Trainee Partner who will be responsible for overseeing your progress.
Your day-to-day workload will vary with each department, but generally, you can expect to:
- Conduct research for client pitches or projects
- Liaise directly with clients
- Write blog posts and articles
- Sit-in on client meetings
- Prepare agreements, deeds, contracts and other legal documents
Life after training
We invest heavily in our Trainees and our aim is to maximise retention of the best talent in-line with the needs of our business.
- 90+% In 2016, we offered over 90% of our Trainees positions on qualification.